If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tygan S's Response to "How to Argue Effectively"

Remember that your job as a missionary is to convince others that they're wrong. The more others disagree with you, the more argumentative you should be. They will only give in if you are more forceful than they. This may escalate to yelling or even violence. Therefore, never try to convince anyone who has a physical advantage over you.

Regrettably, the church prohibits alcoholic consumption. Fortunately there are other means of increasing your competitive edge. Staying up late, drinking lots of sugar, and watching or listening to one-sided political commentary are all very effective.

The following story is an ideal example of convincing others that you're right.


Imagine my companion and I are in an investigator's home teaching him the Restoration. I usually don't take a companion, but my current companion agrees unquestionably with everything I say. This particular investigator has been eagerly taking lessons from another companionship, so we decided to come in and seal the deal.

“How can I know if the Book of Mormon is true?” he asks.

“Let me put it this way,” I begin. “A total of six-hundred fifty-four million, three-hundred and twenty-one individuals know the Book of Mormon is true.”

“Really? But, I thought—”

“Yep. That's from the Granger Institute's Worldwide Religious Statistical Report. Very reputable. Did your other church use it?”

“Uh, no, I don't think so—”

“They probably aren't mentioned.”

I allow for a moment of silence to let that to sink in.

“So, do you believe the Book of Mormon is true?”

“What? Well, no, not yet.”

“Why not? What reasons could you possibly have for not believing it? As it were, I quote, 'it's the best book on Earth.' Gordon W. Tanner said that, e.g. President Gordon W. Tanner.”

“Uh . . . .” Our investigator looks confused for a second. “I'm having problems accepting that Joseph Smith was really a prophet.”

I burst out laughing and my companion sniggers. “Wait, you're serious?” I shake my head, smiling. “Do you believe the Bible?”

“Well, I'm not sure . . .”

“You're begging the question. In terms of biblical personas who reference the Book of Mormon vis a vis, not to mention the cross-implications to Joseph Smith as the prophet, per se, 87.3% indicate that Joseph Smith is, as we say, a prophet, and the remaining 22% indicate that those references are, in fact, indicative, Q.E.D.”

I can tell I'm being very successful because our investigator is starting to look defensive. When they look defensive, that means they're intimidated.

“You know, this really isn't a good time for me—”

“It never is.”

“I'm sorry, but this just doesn't really feel right, would you mind if—”

“You're being defensive.”

“Could you please . . . leave right now? I have—”

“Really? You know who else didn't listen? Hitler.”

“I'm asking you to leave. I'm going to call the cops if you aren't out of my door in thirty seconds.”

My companion and I back away, out the door. “Hitler. Hitler didn't believe the Book of Mormon was true!” The door slams. “HITLER DIDN'T BELIEVE JOSEPH SMITH WAS A PROPHET!”


That's the secret to missionary work: get the words out. It's the words they're going to remember.

18 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! I laughed out loud after I finished reading your article. Your story effectively displays every tip that Barry gave in his article. I still don't understand the point of the article though, unless it was a "don't do any of these things and you'll be good" kind of article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was also pointing out flaws of argument used in society. I know I've heard the Hitler one in the news a lot, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, this is amazing. Especially the part about the one sided politcal talk show people. Coincidentally, Glen Beck and Rush Lim-bah? love the the Hitler comparisson. Not that they never make valid arguments agains our beloved Barack Obama, but it's getting old. The world needs a new scapegoat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, soooo funny. I was laughing on the inside the whole time (because I'm in the library and it would be weird if I laughed out loud). And about the Hitler comparison, why can't people be more creative and compare people/etc. to... I don't know... the Roman Empire? I mean, the killed a lot of people, too (and brought supposed unity, but isn't that what Hitler thought he was doing as well?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. good work Tygan. you're the man. that was possibly one of my favorite persuasive arguments ever. it kinda reminds me of a certain homework assignment where we were told how to do it completely wrong. THEN we could do it right!
    simply. excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was pretty much amazing. I think that knowing what not to do really helps most of the time. I loved the Hitler thing too hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit, that was pretty hilarious. If an LDS missionary ever did something like this... I don't even know what would happen. But anyway, that was a great example of arguing your point with lots of strategy, but at the same time using a bit too much strategy for it to actually work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could only imagine the trouble that an elder like that would get into. Just imagine being that elder's companion!! It would definitely be great for some interesting missionary stories, but I'm not sure how many investigators would continue to take lessons, or even want anything to do with the church after something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! I love this argument...maybe, one day, I can have a missionary companion like this. I definitely think it is hard to argue church doctrine with facts and standard arguing techniques, but if religion was more logic based, this would totally work! I know that I don't enjoy being compared to Hitler...that line may always work on me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something that totally relates to this and something that concerns me a bit is being sent to Europe on my mission. Europe has the higest rate of cynical, super-logical atheists in the world. My uncle went to Germany, and he says that most discussions turn uber-logical and philosphical like this (albiet a little more realistic). Seeing this reminded me about that, ang gave me a chuckele too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that this article is one of the best, no THE BEST, article that we have had to endure this entire semester. No joke. And if you don't agree, then you are a HItler fan. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this article, ergo this response. Q.E.D Hitler didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha :)
    ps what does Q.E.D. stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha I agree with Tasha. Awesome article! Way funny!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, that might be a convicing argument. I mean, I don't want to be like Hitler on anything! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The red sun rises. Blood has been spilt this night... and then I found a penny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this is a funny interpretation of the story but an accurate one. We can't convince people through just plain facts. emotion is the true convincer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Even though I agree emotion is how to argue effectively, I'd rather not argue at all

    ReplyDelete