If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Sophia G's Response to "How to Argue Effectively"

What. The. Heck.

The article tells us to get drunk to learn to argue? However, it provided some much needed laughs on a boring Sunday afternoon. While it was full of nonsense it also held some very valid points. It is usually true that the winner of an argument is the one who can keep their cool longest. I pride myself on being a very good arguer. Coming from a family where I was the only girl with three brothers it became a necessity to learn to argue. Especially when your older brother is the King of Nonsense. This article jogged some funny memories I have from my childhood. These memories varied from convincing my younger brothers to do weird things, arguing pointlessly with them just to get a rise and of course arguing just because I was older and “always right.”

My favorite part about the article was the section about the snappy and irrelevant comebacks. This I have found to be particularly useful in everyday life. My favorite one I learned was the phrase “what are your parameters?” I liked this one because most people will not know how to respond or will respond angrily with something like “you don’t even know what you’re talking about!” In which you can reply “You don’t even know what I’m talking about!” Again, complete nonsense but highly effective.

I did enjoy the article though. It was quite amusing. I have never argued with a drunken person, but I hear they are quite defensive and almost impossible to convince of anything. Like I said before, making things up does tend to be my forte. Making up facts is fun, fast and effective. It gets your point across and hopefully dissuades any further arguing on the subject. This was definitely a much needed laugh though.

6 comments:

  1. I make up facts all the time. The thing is my facts are probably true, so I'm usually not lying. Besides, because my facts always sound true and logical, I always win arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite was the "YOU don't even know what i'm talking about." very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sven Wilson said

    That's an interesting point that the winner of an argument is the one that can keep their cool the longest. I think that that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Snappy and irrevelant" comebacks are always the best. I agree that the longer you can keep your cool the more likely you'll win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly love stomping out the competition by saying something witty or intellectual and then the whole "You don't know what you're talking about."-"YOU don't know what I'm talking about."-thing. Get's em every time. But I also have yet to argue with a drunken person, I've always thought that's the stupid route to go, since, as stated, they are almost impossible to convince of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In arguments are always exaggerate facts to try and prove my point. I don't necessarily lie,but rather present points that side with my argument. Arguing like this mostly occurs with my family though. When arguing with friends or others, I tend to just let them get their way and don't want to cause conflict so I keep my thoughts to myself.

    ReplyDelete