If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ren H's response to "How to Argue Effectively"


This very humorous article seemed to contain many valid points in which I took careful note of.  My roommate and I always argue with each other for fun and find ways to bicker at one another for any reason. The second I finished reading this article I put these rules and suggestions to the test.

I always give my roommate a hard time for taking long naps during the day due to his lack of sleep during the night. I immediately instigated a quick debate on how sleeping more during the night would benefit him more physically as well as make him more of a pleasant roommate to be around. He began to protest, but I instantly threw him some made up statistics and facts about how a better sleeping pattern would result in a healthier lifestyle, as suggested in this article. And to my pleasant surprise, he responded with the question “where did you get your source?” Smirking, I replied with a made up source that I predetermined in my head the minute before in a matter-of-fact manner. I was obviously winning this argument and he knew it. I then proceeded to continue with this argument using many “meaningless but weighty-sounding words and phrases” (using my personal favorites ‘per se’ and ‘so to speak’) as well as the numerous “snappy and irrelevant comebacks” which left my roommate completely dumbfounded. I left the room completely content, just like anyone would when they win a good debate.

I greatly enjoyed this article for it not only was it an enjoyable read but it contained many valid points on how to win arguments without actually being knowledgeable in the given field on which you are debating. It also gave me insight on ways to effectively establish dominance within the dorm when it came to debates. I was not originally very good at arguing effectively, but I’m not gonna lie, it felt realllllly good to actually win one for once.

5 comments:

  1. You remind me of Hitler. Especially with your weird mustache.

    This article cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAha! I tried it too! It was so funny! I called my roommate hitler! And i won! I'm glad we both had similar results. He's is really good at writing funny stuff. It reminds me of junior year when i had to analyze satirical writing all the time. He's super good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious. I will have to try this tactic with my siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the great things about our ability to speak and formulate sentences is how we can use them to persuade, argue, or even manipulate. Mastering this art can be very handy to get what you want. Be careful, with great power comes great responsibility. Yes, spiderman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My roommates and I argue about the most meaningless things. And we are all very stubborn, so usually it ends in frustration. Hopefully, now I can shut them down.

    ReplyDelete