If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tori F's response to "A Rose for Emily"

First off, I actually really wanted this one; because 1. It's Faulkner. and 2. I'm from the South.  Southerners need to be represented for this one.  Period.  Why?  Because Yankees and Westerners don't know what they are talking about when they refer to the South and when they discuss this short story.  Why?  Because they don't know a thing about us (they just think that they do).

Now that that's out of the way...  when I think of Miss Emily I think of my great-grandmother.  Why?  Because she held to the old South and old Southern values, etc. until she passed away at age 93.  She would always talk about those [insert old South word here] that lived down the street and how this (before she was put in a nursing home) used to be a good white community, but those [insert] seemed like pretty fine people (though she'd never talked to them, of course).  Did I mention that we called her Great-Grandma Davis?  Because we did.  You wanna know where the "Davis" part came from?  Yup, that's right.  Jefferson Davis is my who-knows-how-many-greats-uncle.

Miss Emily represents the old South in many ways.  Her dad dies (the Confederacy loses the war), and she becomes anti-social, isolated.  A bunch of carpet-baggers come and pump up the blacks.  She leads Homer into a false sense of security, and then poisons him.  I could go on, but that would get very long and annoying (I think I would even put myself to sleep).

So the real question of this story is why is it so important?  Why has it lasted so long?  Why do people still talk about it even though it was written before we were even born?  It's because it's true--in so many ways.  To the new generation, the old South is a "contemporary" and a nuisance.  It is something we pretend to understand, though we know nothing of it.  It is something we will always remember but never come to terms with.  "It" is Miss Emily Grierson, a woman true to her values even when her values destroy her and poisoned by her past yet fearful of her future.  "We" have killed her.




Okay, now that that's over.  Let me explain some things to you Yankees/Westerners that you may or may not know.  First off, we do in fact still call Northerners Yankees.  Secondly, only hard-core hicks say things like "the South will rise again" and ride around with the Confederate flag on their truck (they also wear a lot of camouflage and go "huntin' and muddin'" frequently).  I could keep saying "next," etc. but I'm lazy.  When I see the Confederate flag, all I think of is Georgia and how a bunch of black people got together and had them change the state flag because they were convinced that it was the Confederate flag (even though, in my opinion because I haven't actually had time to look this up and many people also agree with me on this one, the Georgia flag was created before the Confederate flag (duh!) and the Confederate flag was probably based off the GA flag!).  I get very heated when people pronounce Georgia like they've lived there and actually know what they're talking about... even though they do not (we do not say Georgia like that!).  Also, Tennessee is, in fact, in the South.  Texas is not (unless you are from Texas and think that you are, when in reality you are not... the same thing goes for Florida).  We do not (as a whole) like country music.  We have actual trees.  It's humid, which means that the actual temperature and what you feel like the temperature is are two different things (i.e. it feels hotter in the summer than the temperature and it also feels colder than the temperature in the winter... it's the type of heat/cold that shoots straight though you).  We can actually breathe the air.  We have trees in our mountains (instead of "trees" i.e. twigs i.e. sticks, etc.).  We don't have to water our yards, and we are not all baptist.  Sweet tea, fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, etc. are general staples of the South (i.e. KFC and Chick-Fil-A make bank).  We (in general) do not have that "southern drawl" or talk like "hicks" (only people who live in the boonies and whose parents have likewise lived in the boonies for most of their lives really have an accent).  We do say "y'all" and frequently (it comes naturally, so it doesn't sound as weird when we/Texans say it vs. when Yankees/Westerners say it).  And we all have Southern pride (unless you weren't born in the South... then, if you have any at all, you have "mock" Southern pride... because you're still a Yankee... unless you're from the West, because then we don't have any problems with you).  We also make fun of Yankees who move to the South, but in a loving way not a I-hate-you-because-you-beat-us kind of way (kind of like a "they've seen the light" kind of way ;) ).  I could go on, but I don't feel like it.

9 comments:

  1. Well thank for enlightening us "westerners" about the south!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting depiction of southern culture. You say Texas isn't part of the south...I suppose that is true in the context of how you describe "the south". We are an independent "nation" unto ourselves and can't be stapled with the usual confederate flag-though there are plenty flying around Vidor, Texas, a city that still has a very tiny African American population. And instead of calling it southern pride, it's "Texas Per-ide". But we do have a lot in common: the fried chicken thing, the HUMIDITY (I'll never forget that), and a great drawl. But I admit our way of speaking is a lot different.

    And we don't call them Yankees, we call them weirdos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, amazing analogy of the story and why it's important. Very well done--I never thought about any of that. Second of all, the Southern perspective is ridiculous! I believe you, Tori, but the whole "Southern pride" thing is somewhere in between funny and incredulous. I don't think of Northerners or Southerners that way. But I am glad (and think it's hilarious) that y'all differentiate between Westerners and Yankees. That's another thing--Yankees? That made me laugh even harder.

    Very well done, and thanks for giving us a glimpse of the Southern perspective. By the way, I can't actually breathe Southern air. I can drink it, but breathing it's a little tougher. And yes, I realize my bias must be as subjective as the Southern one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fellow Southerner! I'm form Georgia as a matter of fact, and its true, Yankees and Westeners get lots wrong. I was at the Cannon Center, and they were serving grits. Those were the worst grits ever. There wasn't even cheese to put on them! I also agree that the old Georgia state flag was way cooler than our current one, and esepecially cooler than the lame blue one they had before the Stars and Bars version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure Texas is part of the south. It isn't the southwest, but it is in the south. I was born and raised in Texas (Dallas, so east and in the city). No mountains in my part of Texas, but lots of hills. Very humid, some southern drawl (though not as much being in the city), southern hospitality, and natural, not forced "y'all". It sounds so wrong when someone who doesn't know how to tries to say "y'all."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there something wrong with me if I say I admit I'm not from the South and I don't actually feel any worse off? Actually, I did live in St. Louis. But I'm sure my New York years completely cancel that out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It is something we pretend to understand, though we know nothing of it."
    I often find this kind of attitude in people who studied psychology. They learn about awesome principles in class and are determined to use their new-found knowledge. So sometimes when I'm talking to a psychology student they'll say something to the effect of: "oh! you are feeling like this and undergoing this thing!" what the heck? well shoot. thanks for telling me and categorizing me into a set of emotions!
    thanks for clearing up a bunch of things about the South!
    I could go on, but I don't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha thank you for the education on the South. Amusing and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. COOOOL, I didn't know you were related to Jefferson Davis! interesting article :0

    ReplyDelete