If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Carlie H's Response to "Feed my Lambs"


It’s so easy to read this and expect an inspiring story about how a young teacher changed the lives of disadvantaged youth. That’s the stereotype. Hollywood promotes it, and according to Asplund-Campbell, so does Harvard. We all expect it, but the reality is that it doesn’t happen like Hollywood. In fact, most times, it doesn’t happen at all.
So why do it? What’s the point of even trying at all? Why face such a challenge? I chose to write on this article because I didn’t get it. She struggled so hard for practically nothing as a result. I had to read this over and over. What was the point? The students were the same as before. Didn’t her fancy Harvard education teach her anything?
Then I got it. It wasn’t about her Harvard education or her students. It was about her. This was her personal essay, so it was about her internal change. Her internal change wasn’t about how she overcame the struggle. She didn’t. She even said that she ran away from it all in the end. Her personal discovery was why she even struggled at all.
That was her message: discover why you struggle. At first, she struggled without reason, and it caused her to despair. Gradually she found a reason, even if she didn’t know it yet. She loved her students and found a connection with them. Her struggle became meaningful to her when she realized why she was trying so hard.
I think it’s that way for any struggle we face. At first we don’t get it, and we can’t understand. We rage against it saying, “Why does this have to happen to me?” Sometimes we get through it but never really discover why we struggled so hard, and in the long run, it doesn’t make much of a difference. We forget it and move on. Sometimes though, we get an epiphany, and our struggle becomes something deeper. It gains meaning, and we connect with it. Those are the struggles that make a difference, maybe not to the world but to us personally.
So now I get the point of “Feed my Lambs.” Asplund-Campbell didn’t make as much a difference to her students as she did to herself.

13 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that it is human nature to say "Why me?" when things get hard. Reading things like this makes me realize that my struggles are really quite miniscule in the grand scheme of things compared to what others experience every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes people use writing as a discovery process. I think that that's what this was for Asplund-Campbell; discovering why she did this and what it meant to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really interesting perspective - I like it. I want to teach in inner-city schools and the idea sometimes seems hopeless, but it is important to remember that it's not just the students you are changing - you are changing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another thing this made me think of was how we, as humans, need to be more understanding. I know how much I think my struggles suck, but it's important to remember that everyone is struggling in their own way. So be nice, people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an enlightening article, I had never really considered why I struggled. I agree with Miriam that the author may have written this (at least the first draft of it) for a self-discovery related purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also read this article and felt that it was something I had seen Hollywood promote, but I couldn't quite think of any examples except Stand and Deliver, actually now that I think about Mr. Holland's Opus kind of counts, but those were just under talented, not underprivileged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your thoughts on this article. It is so true that sometimes the teacher learns more than the students. Also keeping an eternal perspective is really important but definately not the easiest thing to do. I think it's also important to remember that you are not the only one faced with a problem, but instead each person has their own trials that they deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how she looked to herself and not to teach others. She looked at where she struggled instead of looking to find others faults. It meant a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting idea you have. Discover WHY you suffer instead of focusing on the actual suffering part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes. Then you discover what's important to you, which is pretty important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like what you said in this article. That really is true that you have to embrace and accept your struggles before they can become growth opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked your main response idea: Struggle is how we grow and learn. I didn't really think that much into it but the fact she's teaching children that wont learn her material. Smart

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that, writing can help one look into there inner self.

    ReplyDelete