If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Aaron C's response to "On 'A Rose for Emily'"


I will be thoroughly honest when I saw the title of my RFIW as stated on the blog “A Rose for Emily” two thoughts popped through my mind; oh crap not you again, due to weeks spent on reading and analysis of the short story in my AP Literature class in high school, and I thought we were learning people’s thoughts on concepts or other’s writing not reading short stories. I was pleasantly surprised first when I turned to the correct page in the book and saw it was titled “On “A Rose For Emily” “ by Cleanth Brooks and not “A Rose For Emily” by Faulkner.
Cleanth Brooks introduced a new concept of Faulkner’s story.  I always believed “A Rose For Emily” was a representation of his view on the decaying Southern aristocracy. But as Brooks revealed Faulkner was indeed really writing about people in his short story.
I found it interesting how we can take the story of “A Rose for Emily” as a warning. Many warnings are seen from her as a “lighthouse” but the most pressing one would be the danger of pride and isolation.  She stated she believed that it was to show that pride and isolation lead to insanity but I would not go as far to say that. But I believe that pride is what would lead to isolation do to the fact that you push others away from you. This isolation will lead to an emptiness in our life and leave it lonely and void of meaning. 
Whether the insanity of isolation and pride captures us is up to us. The key to keeping at bay is to continually care for the other individual whether in friendship, love, or service. Even the smallest gesture of actually stopping and listening to a person’s response to our, “Hey how are you?” when we see them. This will build in us the knowledge of the value of individuals and how we treat them permanently filling it with purpose.

8 comments:

  1. I really liked his interpertation of the lighthouse symbolism. The story really is about people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're probably right about pride leading to isolation. I probably wouldn't mind leaving a prideful person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the conference talk on pride. I can definitely see how pride could lead to isolation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pride is isolation. Pride is putting yourself on your own island because you think youre above everybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit that I felt the same way that you did when I heard the title "A Rose for Emily." But the new interpretation was definitely a relief. Pride is deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your point about being genuine. I feel like honesty in our relationships with other people is so important. When we live in the present moment enough to truly care about that person and what they are feeling, we can avoid that prideful self-absorption.

    ReplyDelete
  7. let's be honest. i hated this story

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, I got a little confused on which one I was supposed to respond to.. but I still love William Faulkner and all things related to him (I just love Southern Gothic stories... I just can't help it) :)

    ReplyDelete