If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Anna S's Response to "Feed my Lambs"

Ever since I was about seven years old I’ve wanted to be an elementary school teacher.  As I’ve gotten older my dream has been to teach at an underprivileged school.  I am well aware that 99.9% of the time it does not end up like the movie “Freedom Writers”.  I am well aware that there will probably be days that I come home crying for these kids and there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it.  I am well aware that most kids in those situations don’t have people who care about their education and college is usually out of the question.  Despite all of that or maybe because of it, I really want to teach those who don’t have a chance. 

This article was honestly probably the best one for me to read and respond to, even though I didn’t pick it.  I loved the part at the end where she talks about how she thought she was going to come “empower” these kids, but she was so disillusioned about it.  I see myself doing the exact same thing.  She had to get off her high horse a little bit in order to face those kids at the eye level of humanity.  Literature really can unify people in ways that nothing else can.  There is just something about the book Night that everyone can relate because it exposes human nature at its very best and very worst.  It makes people wonder, “What would I do if it were me?”  I don’t think any of us can honestly answer that question until we’re put in such a situation.  It is when Asplund-Campbell reaches this common ground that she can effectively communicate with her students.  We’re all human, no matter where we live or our situation in life.  The emotion in Night is something everyone understands, even if they can’t describe it.  Will I be able to get off my “empowerment” high horse long enough to relate to my students?  I don’t know, but I hope I remember that humanity is a universal language.

3 comments:

  1. i got the same message from the story. i think you'll do great in teaching- you've already noticed the empowerment high horse which says something (awesome) about your character. I think i need to read this 'night' and reread this story a few times so i can grasp that concept. anyway, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night really is such a good book. I love learning about World War 2 for some reason. I also love the movie Freedom Writers. I too feel inclined to help the less fortunate. Especially the children. There is something about working with kids that I really enjoy. While I don't think i'll be a teacher (simply because I don't want to go to school forever) I am looking into career paths that allow me to help underprivileged kids.

    I had debated social work for a long time. But,I am not sure about that either. The issue with working with those in less fortunate situations is that it can often be depressing when you are unable to fix their situation, or get them out of a bad one.

    It was a really good article and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I think that it would be amazing to be able to help underprivileged students. I think that it is interesting that everyone has been comparing this article to the movie Freedom Writers. Honestly, I did as well. I think that it was nice to see a different perspective from what Hollywood portrays in this type of film, in that she really did not end up doing much for those students. However, she was able to see how she grew as a person, and was able to at least keep on trying. I personally would commend you for pursuing this, as I think that everyone should be given the chance to be the best that they can, and be able to achieve the most that they can.

    ReplyDelete