If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Another good day for hunting and not being stuck in a classroom!

I hope Monday's MOA hunt was informative for you. But did you know that there are *more* great works categories than just Art? Yeah. You probably knew that.

Here's the thing. To write a paper about a great work, you have to, like, *be exposed* to great works. But there are a lot of those. How do you pick? So here's what I want you to do with our class time this beautiful Wednesday:

1) Obtain a copy of the Great Works list. You can get this from the student advisement center in the basement of the MSRB, or you can download it from online.

2) Next you need to *go* somewhere. Use the GW list to guide you. For example:
  • If you find that you're drawn to the theater/musical options of the list, go over to the HFAC, find out when stuff is playing; choose something you want to watch; buy your tickets. (You don't have to see anything *right then,* but you want to be ready.)
  • If you want to do something sciency, walk yourself over to one of the science buildings. See if they have any special events planned. Talk to department offices or wander the halls looking for flyers. Find a professor and ask them if you can come observe a class. Make arrangements. 
  • On the other hand, if you are a lover of literature, you could go to the library and find the book you need to read.  Find books about the book you need to read.  Check them out and start reading.  
  • There are other options, right?  I can't remember right now because both of my children are yelling at me about how they don't want to go to bed.  Consult the list and figure out an appropriate place to go.  Ooo, the international cinema, right?  That might be a good place to visit.
3)  I need to know that you actually *did* this assignment and didn't just use the hour to do your math homework, so I'm going to need proof.  Take a picture of yourself wherever you end up and send it to me along with a half a paragraph about what you did.

You can do this alone or in groups.  Have fun! 

9 comments:

  1. I read this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super bonus points! I read this, got The Color Purple from the library, and went to the Night at the Museums with the Honors group. That's 4 Great Works plus bonus for reading plus ice cream! It's a win-win-win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stealthily broke into the planetarium in the Eyring science center... so it was kind of like an Inception style experience (crime for the greater good… or maybe it was cause I was listening to the Inception soundtrack on my iPod… by the way, very good mood music).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this, I think I going to either go to some science thingy or read the Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i went to the international theatre....that was interesting! wish i knew what they were saying ha haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading The Great Divorce

    ReplyDelete
  7. I emailed you my paragraph and a pic. That mind you was a funny experience because I didn't even know the kid who took my picture, but I told him I needed proof!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to the HFAC and bought a ticket to *Persuasion,* which I'm going to see tomorrow night. Yea. I'm trying to get proof.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to the library and read some sweet poems by Edgar Allen Poe. They weren't sweet though, they were actually pretty scary. I snuggled up in one of those really hard chairs and just read. I even took a picture of it, but since I have no modern conveniences, I have no way of emailing it. Call me old fashioned, but don't hate. One day I'll be your boss. At least that's the saying....

    ReplyDelete