If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tanner E's Response to "Mother's Choice"

Hi.  My name is Tanner.   And it has been 15 hours since my last Facebook stalking experience.

 It’s Missionary Week in Heritage Halls, as you all well know, and my main goal for Missionary Week is no Facebook all week.  Starting today.  So naturally, I spent a healthy amount of time soaking up the blue and white screen last night.  And naturally, I stalked a few people.  

Did you know that Marissa* was a kitty cat for Halloween?  Let’s just say her costume was not exactly Honor Code appropriate.  College has definitely changed her.

Or do you know this girl named Maddie whose friend claims she met you but you have never seen her in your life?  Yeah.  Me neither.  But she listens to Sufjan, so she’s definitely cool.

These are just two examples of a typical experience on Facebook for me.  Judge me if you want.  Forever remember me as “the Facebook stalker.”  Honestly, I don’t really care.  Because I know who you are.  I know who your roommates are.  I know what kind of music you like.  I know what quotes really make you swoon.  I know about your boyfriend (or lack thereof).  I’ve got you pegged.

And this, my friends, is my problem.

My name is Tanner, and I stereotype.  But I am learning.  Before coming to BYU, I Facebook stalked all my roommates because that is just the necessary thing to do.  Anyway, I had them all pegged.  Antonio (still fake names here) was really into himself because he went to a prestigious arts school.  Francisco loves Andrew Bird, but he looks hyperactive.  Shane was your typical California kid: stuck up and too cool.  And Orangellomanickaniqua was definitely going to be sheltered.  I thought I knew them from a couple of pictures and a status update, but I was completely off.

These roommates—who I thought I knew—turned out to be completely different.  In fact, I can happily say, they turned out to be some of my very best friends.  And the funny thing is, they pegged me wrong too.  

And the saddest part is, I still do this!  I should really learn from my past, but instead, everyone I meet is categorized.  Potential freshman fling.  Hard core jock.  Immature band geek.  Wedding ring hunter.  Library addict.  The list goes on.

So let’s talk about Mother’s Choice by Anna Quindlen.  I promise I will tie these things together.  First and foremost, I love feminists.  That’s why I picked this article.  For some reason, I am always really really good friends with feminists (and vegetarians).  So if you are either of those (or if you listen to Sufjan and/or Andrew Bird) find me on Facebook.  

But the thing about feminists, as Anna Quindlen explains, is that they love to stereotype.  (Incidentally, the feminists that I do know also love Facebook stalking.  Go figure.)  Like Quindlen explains, feminists typically have all these misconceptions about motherhood.  Even more, they look down on these “sell-outs” who choose motherhood over careers.

Clearly, most feminists and I have a problem, as does most of the world probably.    We love to compartmentalize people.  Once we think we know them, we put them in a category and assume all the other character traits will align with the stereotype.  But guess what, they don’t!!

I, for one, am more than a English major.  I am more than a Mormon.  I am more than an cello player.  I am more than the music I listen to or the clothes I wear or my Facebook profile picture.  Everyone is.  And Anna Quindlen gets that.  It took her a few years and a heck of a lot of experience to learn it, but people are more than just a stereotype.  Quindlen so beautifully states, “I wanted to be somebody, and now I am—several somebodies, to be exact” (RFIW 132).  And these stereotypes, these compartments that we try to force people into are nothing more than misunderstandings.  If we, like Quindlen, take to time to see both sides, then (and only then) can we truly judge a person.  And more often than not, we will love both sides.  If we get to know the people behind the Facebook profile pictures, more often than not, we will love them (see roommate backstory above).

I’ve learned a lot by coming to BYU.  I’ve learned that making friends is predatory business.  In a matter of sentences, people will write you off as not good enough.  It’s pathetic, really.  But everyone does it!!  So here’s my challenge to you (and me) from Anna Quindlen: understand people.  Get to know them beyond hometowns and majors.  Sure, Facebook stalk.  It’s fun.  We all love it.  In fact, Facebook stalk me.  But if you do, really get to know me.  Don’t judge me by my wall posts and my interests, judge me by the conversations and experiences we will potentially have.

(But really...let’s be Facebook friends.)


* Names changed to protect Facebook identities.

10 comments:

  1. I love you Tanner. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tanner. We stereotype and think that it will be ok. We think that we can judge others because they do not think the "right" way. We think that we can be the bosses of the world and declare what is right and what is wrong. In the end, it's really none of our business. So what if some successful woman decides to have kids.

    I knew two wonderful women in my hometown (one was a phd in biology and the other spoke chinese fluently) who raised kids. They were great at it and gave up careers to do it. I also know women who had successful careers and well adjusted kids. One of them was my mom. I admit that I have always had the view that women with six kids and pup tent dresses were the mormon mega moms who did nothing but clean their houses. It was a life that I would never want.

    In the church though, we seem to think that we can judge those women who have careers. I felt it as a kid that the women in my ward admired my mom's drive, but secretly thought she was committing a carnal sin by having a successful career. It made me a little bitter and I swore that I would not become a "Mormon Mom". But, after meeting the two moms in my ward, I realized that you could be a "Mormon Mom" and have your kids be socially sufficient and interested in the television (most of the "Mormon Moms" in my home ward thought the television was a box of evil).

    In the end, don't judge. It's not your place and it's not my place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Tanner,
    I really enjoyed your response. It's probably due to the fact that I totally agree with you and I am so entertained by your honesty and apparently I should add you as a friend on facebook seeing that I am a feminist, a vegetarian and I listen to the genre of music that you listed. Anyways, I enjoy you as a person and i don't even know you. But if you are really looking for friends apparently I am your type so just facebook stalk me up and if you like what you see then you should add me and then we can go on some crazy adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to facebook stalk you jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tygan Shelton the Chauvinist Eco-Destroying HickNovember 5, 2010 at 6:53 AM

    Awesome post! Incredible moral that you pulled from that story. I too have an addiction to judging people because they are vegetarians, feminists, or from California. Or facebook stalkers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed that. It was remotely humorous. But so far everyone I've Facebook stalked (and let's face it, the the scale on which I hunt for personal information expands through the entire internet) I've been pretty correct about in my assumptions. So why stop?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is quite fantastic. I stalked my roommates before school started too - some predictions were correct while others were off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this much. I don't stock on facebook, but I know plenty of stockers haha. Including you of course. Well I guess we all stalk to one degree or another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matt Lipps, from Hecka Tight Roseville, CaliforniaNovember 6, 2010 at 7:48 PM

    Not to brag or anything, but i'm pretty good at not facebook stocking. I'm great at stereotyping, though. I loved the perspective you brought to this article. And thank you, tygan, for making my life better with that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tygan Shelton the Chauvinist Eco-Destroying HickNovember 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM

    Hey, I love the sinner, just not the sin.

    ReplyDelete