If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ariel P's Response to "Zeal Without Knowledge"

Knowledge can be seen as something that is critical, or necessary to obtain in order to progress in this life time. There are many different types of knowledge; however, only true knowledge is worth knowing. Being members of the church we have access to the truth. It’s extremely hard to tell someone that what they know is not correct, but the fact is they just do not have the full truth. Nibly discusses the importance of knowledge because it is really the only thing we take with us to the next life. He tells us that zeal and knowledge should work together. Knowledge can be useless if you don’t apply it in some way. I enjoy learning because there is always something new to know, but that is when zeal comes in and drives us to desire to learn and expand our knowledge.

Having zeal is important and can act as the motivation or drive to learn but we need to be aware that there is false information out there. I agree with Nibly that there is so much information out there it can be hard to know what the real truth is and what isn’t. It’s harder to find solid truth that is unwavering and therefore it’s important to control your drive for knowledge. I think of the media and all of the false advertisements. They will pretty much tell you anything you want to hear if it means they will be making money.

I had never really thought about everything that constitutes sin. Sin does not always mean doing something bad and doesn’t have to be big. Not doing anything at all makes up sin as well and Nibly really described that well. I know I definitely sit around way more than I should and should be more focused on being as productive as I can with the limited amount of time that I have. If we do that then we should never feel bored. Knowing the importance of knowledge makes me want to learn the most I can but also make sure I am learning truth and not false information.

4 comments:

  1. I just thought I would comment on yours since no one else has yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you (and Nibly)that knowledge really is useless without being proactive about it, using it to become better, not simply letting it lie dormant and useless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you. I need to stop doing nothing with my life and use everything i have up there in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we don't use our knowledge and it just sits there it becomes distorted and useless.

    ReplyDelete