If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Brandon B's Response to "Getting Launched"


One key topic mentioned in this article of Readings for Intensive Writers was the practice of letting your madman out.  This idea allows the thoughts of our unconscious creative mind to flow onto paper without the interruption of our critical thoughts.  Each of us will likely run into a block while writing our papers.  John R. Timble says that to get around this block, take a small sheet of paper and just write whatever comes to your mind.  Do not let the flow of ideas be stopped.  Don’t take more than a second or two to think of what write, but also set a time limit on yourself of about twenty minutes.  If you feel like you have run out of ideas, then write that you have run out of ideas.  Write that this is the hardest thing you have ever done if that is how you feel.  Once you get thoughts to flow onto your paper, there is bound to be a few keepers that you can expound upon and help you in the writing process. 
                  I have never been much of a writer, although my mom always said I would be wonderful.  I have always felt that have no idea where to start, or do not care about the subject.  Timble mentions a process by which we can overcome both problems.
                  He says that when you have the option to pick a topic to write about, pick one of which you feel very strongly.  Pick a topic that allows you to really express your feelings.  When you do not have that option, create your own feelings about the subject.  He says, “It’s impossible to write electric prose… without strong emotion to energize your thinking.” 
                  Luckily, with the Wikipedia research paper, we all had the opportunity to pick a topic.  I picked tarantulas, and I still am greatly disturbed by pictures I find while researching.  Hopefully I can put a little of that emotion into my writing while doing my best to be unbiased and thorough.
                 

22 comments:

  1. Completely agree. Getting over writer block can be difficult but I really liked the suggestions I read, which I can now apply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree wholeheartedly. On this paper more than many others I've had a block like that, but suggestions like he gave are extremely helpful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, freewriting can be a great way to pull some new ideas out of your brain. It's especially helpful to me as I'm trying to piece my sources together -- after I read each source, I freewrite for a minute or two about the most useful ideas I found in it. Then, when I go back to begin writing, I have a starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starting is definately the hardest part of writing a paper. I know that once I have a couple sentences down, the rest of the paper flows much more smoothly. It is very important to be interested in the topic you are writing, or at least have an opionion so that ideas can be expressed with emotion and the paper can feel more lively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, I think free writing after each source sounds like a solid idea. I think I'm going to implement it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the free writing aproach. I personally find that it gives purpose to what you are doing at every road block of the process in which you are stumped at where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if I am supposed to comment also since I wrote one of the responses this week, but better safe than sorry. I agree with your feelings completely. It's great to know that other people feel the same way. Sometimes I feel like everyone else at BYU is a genius and have no problems with writing. It's comforting to know that we're all in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely prefer choosing a topic over being assigned one. Especially back in my elementary and junior high days, I would get major writer's block. Once I got into higher level stuff with actual, more open questions, I was able to write much better. I definitely know the "feel very strongly" idea. If it was a topic like that, the words would flow so naturally onto the page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed the first sentence when he referred to finding your inner "madman." It basically made my day. Also, i find this very appropriate for me because lately, writers block has been one of my best friends. I curse at it, spit at, but nothing changes. It just makes me not want to write. If this epidemic in my head continues, i may need psychiatric help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing block is one of the most difficult things in writing. Getting past the blank white page, and getting words down to make sentences that hopefully make sense is hard. Maybe letting the inner "madman" out by starting with what you think about the topic would be very interesting. Especially with tarantulas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate writer's block. In fact, I feel it right now. I don't even know how to respond to this. So now I will go madmen on you all and list everything I liked about this...
    I like the idea of frenzied writing. Sitting down and just spitting out ideas is cathartic. In fact, those are my favorite writing times..when it just flows. Therefore, when I feel blocked, I will just rant and rant and rant and rant...

    ReplyDelete
  12. NO! The madman is coming out! Help me! HELP ME!
    That's a very good idea. I also like the idea to write like you were explaining it to someone-I find myself explaining my position or thoughts on something to the invisible people around me. Some of them could make pretty good theses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of "letting your madman out". It's quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this whole "madman" idea. I've found that it's easiest for me to just start writing, and then figure out where I'm going with the paper along the way. I just need to get something down, and then I can focus and maybe actually write something of quality.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely had a few blocks where I just stared at my paper for awhile trying to figure out where I wanted to go with my topic. I definitely had no idea where I would end up until I finished my paper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always had trouble with the wrting random stuff down thing. I'm a real serious person, and stuff like that is kind of hard. However, I will make an attempt with this class. It's something new.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your connection with the free writing and your Wiki paper. In a way, the random and difficult process of writing is more approachable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I completely agree with you. I always have a hard time starting a paper, especially if I don't know how to start on a specific topic. I have been told consistently to just write what comes to mind, but I never really thought about putting down even my thoughts of "I have no idea what to say." Hopefully, this will help me to be able to grow as a writer, just as I hope it helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oftentimes, I pause to write something. because I think to myself: "That's stupid. how dare you write something so terrible? I need to come across as refined and thoughtful!" but that's the awesome thing about pre-writing! it can spill. you can write however and about whatever comes to mind! only to be thoroughly revised later.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For the past few years I have always started my papers by making lists of everything I can think of about the topic. It helps so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it is very good to let our mind flow out onto our papers. I know it helps me to spend time just letting my mind flow out onto scratch paper before I write.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can fly with language! I agree completely the good that writing does. I write poemz too, I go places in my head and write them down sometimes.

    ReplyDelete