If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Audrey L's response to "Getting Launched"


I feel so much better about my writing after reading “Getting Launched.”  All through high school I would dread writing papers because I always felt like I was going through the writing process wrong.  My teachers seemed to have one set process of how everyone should write essays, and everyone had to conform to that process.  I, however, never felt that whatever process they recommended worked for me.  I couldn’t just sit down the day I was told to write a paper and write something without thinking about it for a time beforehand, but I always felt like I was procrastinating when I didn’t actually write anything down on paper until a few days after I got the assignment.  It wasn’t that I was avoiding the paper, usually; I just felt like I would write better if I thought about it for a while, turned it over in my mind, observed it from every aspect, and wrote it out in my mind, before actually writing it out on paper.  Then, once I felt I had considered it as much as was necessary, I would sit down, and write the whole paper in one sitting.  I will admit that I probably didn’t ever revise a paper as much as I should have.  I don’t have any excuse for that, it just didn’t happen. 

My other problem with my high school English classes was that I never had to try hard to get a good grade, so I usually wouldn’t.  I would do just enough work for the A, but I very rarely went the extra mile.  I could write a rough draft, read through it once to correct all of the grammar mistakes and typos and turn it in.  I might lose a point here or a point there for small mistakes, but I still got A’s so I never changed the way I wrote.  If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.  Reading what Trimble said about writing a “zero draft” and revising multiple times intimidated me.  It feels so overwhelming to have to write and rewrite a paper over and over again.  It is a new concept for me, but I can definitely understand how it would be useful, and, now that I am at college, necessary. 

I also enjoyed the advice that Trimble gave about answering questions on 5x8 inch slips of paper as part of the brainstorming process.  It seems like a really good way to organize thoughts, and it will help determine which direction the paper is going.  Instead of just having one main topic and millions of jumbled thoughts running through my brain, these cards can show me what is important, what questions need to be answered, and how to answer them.  I will definitely need to try this exercise with my next paper. 

I can’t believe I am saying this, but I am actually not dreading the next paper that I will have to write.  I don’t know that I am looking forward to it, but it does not seem quite so overwhelming or intimidating if I just follow the steps the Trimble suggests.  I feel good about a few of them, that they will really help my writing to become easier and better.  But I also need to remember that I need to find whatever works for me, and perfect that process.  Writing is an individual process.  No two people will write the same thing, so no two people should write the same way.  I wish I had learned that a long time ago. 

11 comments:

  1. My experience w/ high school English was the same as Audrey's, which I'm sure is the same for most everyone else, so I can completely empathize with Audrey's feelings about writing and re-writing a paper. Strangely as much as I dread and loathe all the revision, I equally anticipate it and want to yell, "Bring it on!" So...
    "BRING IT ON!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a unique way to look at things, but I feel like Audrey. My papers in high school sucked, but my teachers saw my name and gave me A's. I didn't work for my grades my senior year. I floated along on my reputation and then graduated. Coming back to school over the summer and learning to actually care what I turn in was a huge smack to my pride and the way I had been working through papers in the past. John Trimble is right. Multiple drafts will refine the paper, not unlike the fire that purifies metals. Audrey's experience reminds me of mine (she worked harder than I did though) and I am going to follow her lead and listen to John Trimble. After all, listening to those with more experience is something that wise people do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rather disappointed I only came across this article in my college experience. If I had the advice this article gave me years ago, it would have saved me many sleepless, panicked nights from high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wish this article would have been able to help me in high school, but it probably would have had little to no affect. My papers weren't really the greatest in high school either. They probably had a lot of potential and good ideas, I just never took the time to edit them like I should have. I'm kind of excited to see how my papers will turn out now with a little fine tuning and a lot of frustration and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree!! This is EXACTLY how high school was! the most I would ever do on my pre-writing was letting the ideas ruminate for a while. with these tips (and the new higher standards here at BYU) I think that my chances of actually developing a structure and order to the way I write are much higher. i also loved the idea of just letting everything spill out on the paper. it's more like a timed, in class essay, which i felt were always easier. I understand now that it's because I was letting myself dump everything from my mind instead of setting a "janitor" to try to control and withhold the raging torrent of thought. this was a great article, and I totally hear you on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting how easy we all seem to get through high school. Luckily for me, I decided to take a college written composition course my senior year. This was the best class decision EVER! I struggled to scrape a B- in that class...and I learned the importance of writing and re-writing, over and over. Although I learned how important it was, I still struggle applying what I learned...but I am so grateful for the chance I had to actually learn what it means to truly and write and progress and learn through the process. Its a learning process...plain and simple. You can write in any way you choose. This is just one of the joys of creative writing. (or any writing in that matter)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was the same way. I just did what I had to to the get the A. And I had trouble with the writing process too. Actually I still do. I can't really do outlines. I just start to write and that is how my brain starts working and pumping out ideas. I always thought I was doing it wrong. But I guess I wasn't. Trimble is right, everyone has their own individual way of getting the words on the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adjusting to college is very difficult in so many aspects, especially writing. I have come to realize how difficult and time-consuming it is to write paper. After this article, I can view it with a perspective of time investment. Writing is such an essential skill for life, any profession or occupation, one ought to learn how to make it the best one possibly can. Who doesn't want to eventually get better grades anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really agree with the first paragraph. My main beef with writing classes is that you have to relearn how to write with each teacher in order to please their personal tastes. Each teacher thinks their way is the right way and there's no other approach. Over the years, I have kind of learned to take their advice with a grain of salt and for the most part just do what works for me instead of stressing about how to please somebody else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Audrey's experiences with writing in high school really do seem to be common to so many of us. For me, it has been the same way. I'm not bad at writing, but I really don't like doing it. So usually I do the minimum that I need to in order to fulfill the assignment or get my ideas across, but I rarely take the time to refine my writing into something great. My first or second draft writing has usually been good enough to do what it needs to, so I've stopped there. But I know that if I want to actually produce papers, I need to follow the advice of carrying out an entire writing process, with lots of revision.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm surprised that this article felt like a review. I mean yes, my teachers in High School like Audrey's had a standard for writing that they expected everyone to follow, but they also didn't want a textbook sounding paper. I've kind of been a rebel in that regard I suppose. I write the way I want to write, learn what specifically the teacher looks for and then continue writing the way I want to write. I've noticed that teachers are really interested in your ideas and content and so I write from the soul and edit like crazy for all of my terrible grammatical errors. I'm curious to see how all of my drafts turn out in the end of the semester though.

    ReplyDelete