If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Instructions for Class on Friday: aka The Bibliography Challenge!

The Bibliography Challenge!

When I was an undergraduate, one of my classes had this super evil library scavenger hunt. It was full of psychotic questions like, “The following quote [insert random bizarre quote] is a line from a book. Find it.” This was before the internet and there were 100 questions like this.

Me and my group were working, like, 8 hours a day every day for two weeks. We were so mad about that stupid assignment and the awfulness, etc. And we were having trouble. So we started to get desperate. To try desperate things. For example, we narrowed one question down to four books. But we couldn’t find the answer in any of them. So we called the authors. All stalker-like, we got their phone numbers and friggin called them at home and read them the quote and asked them if they wrote the book that had the quote and if so, which book was it in? We talked to professors. We broke into email accounts. We pretended to be research assistants for professors that didn’t exist and got librarians to find stuff for us. We were like Veronica Mars, but with more rage.

Well, I wrote nasty things about that horribly hard assignment on the course evaluations. It was the worst assignment EVER, I concluded.

Fast forward a few years and I was in grad school, doing a research project. Everyone in the class was having trouble finding stuff, but I wasn’t. They all asked me how I was finding stuff. So I told them. They looked at me like I was crazy. And it hit me: everything I knew about doing research, I learned from that one awful assignment. Everything.

In addition to the stalking of authors, one of the most helpful things I learned is that bibliographies are fantastic ways to find sources. Instead of pouring over databases, grab books on topics slightly larger than your topic and turn directly to the bibliographies. Don’t even read the books. Just read the bibliographies. You’ll be amazed how much easier it is when someone else has done the research for you. Something I commonly do is to go to the library, find 20 books, pile them on a table and pour through the bibliographies. (Let someone else put the books away.) So useful.

So, here are the rules of the challenge:

1) Work in groups

2) You have only the class period. Fifty minutes. After that, time is up.

3) Start with one person’s topic and then work your way through everyone else’s topic. Get through as many people as you can, but don’t exceed the time limit. Rock paper scissors to see who goes in what order if you can't decide.

4) For each topic, find 20 books written on a broader topic. Don’t open the books yet.

5) Once you have 20 books, put them on a table and flip directly to the bibliographies.

6) Write down any journal articles that apply to each person's smaller topic from each bibliography.

7) When you’ve gotten through the 20 bibliographies, it’s time to move to the next person in the group.

8) Repeat for each person until the time limit is up.

9) Bring your lists of articles to class on Monday. The group with the most articles wins a prize.

If you have questions while you're working, send me an email. I'll try to keep my computer next to me the whole time. Good luck, y'all!

25 comments:

  1. That sounds like a hoot! Either that or it sounds awful. I'm not sure which yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stoked, this will add a lot to my research repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrying a giant stack of books around the library helped me feel like a real college kid. It was truly life changing. I owe you one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! But how did the authors react to you calling them all stalker-like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I loved doing this in class today. It was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This went very poorly for me group, at least partially because I did not realize that leeches are not Trematodes until we had already gotten a lot of information on Trematodes. That didn't go so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure how effective we were at searching through bibliographies; we had a hard time finding books pertinent to two of our groupmembers' topics. Our library time did, however, lead to some lovely peer bonding later Friday night. Or, I guess it did. Maybe the bonding was coincidental and would've happened anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did anyone end up getting the prize for getting the most bibliographies? I don't remember that happening...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great way to work with the books in the library!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was alot of fun. We found an ANCIENT book on the normal shelves! Hopefully it wasn't meant to be in the normal collections...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a great experience... It helped me find good resources.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I know know that books have very useful bibliographies. Now I just need to switch over from online sources...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was really hard assignment, and I am still not quite sure how to use them in a helpful way, but now I know the use of a bibliography! Can't imagine doing it your teachers way! yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a fun assignment... but took a lot of time

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was fun. I definitely got to know the library better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Not really, I can still... bite it..."

    ReplyDelete
  17. It really helped most of my group! Fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad we did this, it helped a lot with my wiki paper

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was super helpful and fun to run around the library! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. not really helpful at all I'll be honest

    ReplyDelete
  21. Today was probably the first and last time I'll ask a random girl at a table to "guard this stack of books for me, I'll be right back."

    ReplyDelete
  22. this was such a crazy assignment. I think the librarians weren't too happy to put all those books back when we were done using them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was a great assignment! I learned a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was so interesting to read the bibliographies of different books! I would have never thought of that before!

    ReplyDelete