If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Monday, August 23, 2010

SWILUA's Grading Philosophy; Just so you know.

AT the beginning of my semester in Math 113 I had the second worst grade in the entire class. I’m not talking B+ kind of bad. I’m talking a 41.3% testing average. I was failing. It was a weird concept for me, failing, especially because I was working 3-4 hours every single stupid day trying to understand the stuff. I mean, how could I be working so hard and still be failing?

Then, one day, like a miracle, a boy named Christopher came up to me and revealed that he was the only person in the class with a worse percentage than me (his was 38.7%) and that we were going to be study buddies. I think that was his term. Or maybe my mother's. My memory is fuzzy.

But I do remember that we worked. We worked six days a week. 7-8 hours every weekday and 8-12 hours on Saturday. We spent every second we could in the math lab (they often had to kick us out at night). We got two or three assignments ahead so that by the time we got to class we already had a pretty good understanding of what was going on. We worked our trash off.

Finally, one day, I had this epiphany deep in my brain cells. All of mathematics seemed to open up and I understood what the entire thing was about. And it was beautiful. By the end of the semester, I had raised my testing average from 41.3% to 105.6%. I went from the second worst grade to the second best. I became a math lab tutor and the only person admitted to my graduate literature program who got a higher math score on the GRE than English.

What’s my point?

There is a happy indignation in assuming that hard work should be rewarded with high grades. The problem is, if we’re rewarded solely for our effort and not for what we produce, we don’t reach as high and we don’t work as hard. It’s the reason communism fails while capitalism succeeds. Grades push us. Should they define us? Absolutely not. Should you jump off the Kimball tower when you, inevitably, get that first A-? I’m thinking probably not. (In fact, I have this other speech, that I won’t give here, where I encourage all of you to get at least one C in your life. It’s a good speech. Remind me to give it if I don’t remember to myself.)

But should you let grades push you to learn at a new depth?

Absolutely.

The majority of your grade (more than 70%) in this class will come from things you have written. (Seems fitting, really, that in a writing class you’re graded on writing.) I don’t grade on a curve. I have had classes where the entire class got an A and classes where no one did. Most classes do seem to have a variety of grades. And one happy bit: if you do every single assignment and come to every single class, I will personally guarantee that you won’t fail the class no matter how much of an F you got on each paper. That’s just because I’m nice.

41 comments:

  1. The thought of spending 8-12 hours a day is extremely daunting for an incoming freshman like myself. It leads me to wonder if I can even make it by with my rigorous schedule if more than one of my classes demand as much time as your one math class did, I'm pretty much hosed.

    -Sean Kang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the Lord I tested out of college math. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Like Sean, I hope my classes balance themselves so I don't end up leaning to make up for incompetence in one subject.

    Catelyn Gentry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already know exactly which classes will be the most troublesome, and I'm glad to say that this is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO THAT'S WHY COMMUNISM DOESN'T WORK! the only thing i could figure out was greed. adn amen and halelujia to catelyn's comment- idk if i could commit that time to one class. a- inevitable? bummer man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! We're going to be stretched! I'll reserve judgment until class starts... then I'll know whether or not to be scared.

    - Jessica Allen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm getting really excited for this class :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This scares me. If I have to study that much for my math class, I might resort to other things...

    satan = communism.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This may be my Book of Mormon class from this morning talking, but I think that we should place ourselves in a state to act and not be acted upon. Failure does not define, but the end result of the experience that defines us. The result is determined by our attitudes and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I really hope I don't have to study that much each day for any class. If I have to I guess I will, but I can't even imagine having to do that much

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jay: This is going to be reeaaally interesting because my whole entire high school, I've taken all of the most accelerated classes offered, AP and such, except for english. And now that I'm here, the only honours im taking is english. I imagine myself as the person who's going to struggle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've studied that much for classes before... NOT good memories, unfortunately. And your speech will have to be pretty good to get me to actually want to get a C. That was an official challenge, so prepare yourself!

    ~Mykell Aidukaitis

    Oh, and does my name look scary at all? I always wonder what people's reactions are to seeing my name without hearing the pronunciation first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very helpful. This just says to me, "Get 'er done!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that the most comforting part was the last sentence... LOL
    also, I'm interested in the "you should get a C sometime in your life" speech...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely hope that my math class isn't that demanding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This story is really actually inspiring. I just hope it doesn't happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am encouraged be the fact that I am not the only one that grew up not understanding math at all. Throughout high school I struggled with math, but it was't until my senior year that I finally applied myself in a way similar to how you did. It is amazing how much more you learn this way. I hope I can have similar experiences in all of my classes this year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to get ahead, even if it is just a little bit. There is a lot of material for this class and I want to stay on top of it. If there is any class I want to be completely stress free about, it is this one. Thank you Professor Spencer for being so generous as to give us the promise of not failing if we just put in all the effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I suppose I will have to make friends and get some study partners. And I appreciate that last comment. I will do my best to be to every class and do every assignment.

    Brandon B.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Grades have always been way important to me. Guess I'll have to learn to let my education be more important than my grades.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really hope with all my heart that the C I am encouraged to get does not happen this semester. :) Maybe some other time when I am more in tune with what goes on in college. Then maybe I won't freak out as much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it makes sense that we are graded on our success rather than just solely on effort. In the real world, we don't congratulate proffesionals for simply trying,instead we acknowldege their success. In order to succees in our careers we will have to work at it to meet the standards of the public. It will defnately be a challenge, but that's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it makes sense that we are graded on our success rather than just solely on effort. In the real world, we don't congratulate proffesionals for simply trying,instead we acknowldege their success. In order to succees in our careers we will have to work at it to meet the standards of the public. It will defnately be a challenge, but that's the truth.
    -Ariel Pinvises

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it's important to recognize the importance of both effort and quality production. We're here to get an education, and we should have a personal goal to do our best and be accountable for the things we've done. Usually, when we actually do our best, quality work will follow. Sometimes though, our work isn't that great, and we need to develop ourselves further so that we have the capacity for higher quality work. It's a tough principle because no matter what, it requires a lot of work, and that 's not usually very fun, but I think that with the right attitude, much can be gained from it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You kind of scared me there at the beginning, but the last part about us not failing if we come to all the classes gave me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's quite interesting how we can become skilled at any subject in school that we try to master. We aren't limited by anything other than possible disabilities we may have. We might be great in science, but not great at math. If we prepare and study like you did, we can be great. Turns out your best was almost the class best, it may not be that wat for everyone, but it sure pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on turning your grade around!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read this a few days ago and just realized I didn't comment on it. I admire your drive, O She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite. I'm already starting to find that college classes seem to require more time than high school classes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Consider yourself blog stalked. I mean I blog stalked you before school even started, but now I am realizing I need to comment to get graded on my blog stalking. I will now spread out my reactions among these comments.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, the excitement of the first B. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I about died the first time I got a B in high school. I didn't even want to tell my mom, because I was convinced that something had died. ...Then I remembered that the reason I did so poorly is that I didn't do about 30 of the assignments and still didn't understand conic sections. That made me feel a whole lot better about myself... until I made a B in a class that I actually tried in. Then I died and was resurrected (mentally only... not in actuality).

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think that this is a really great grading system. I'm glad to know hard work will ensure I don't fail, which isn't always the case in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think you should grade based on hair color. Redheads get A's, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've realized it's really difficult to get good grades in college. Work your butt of, but work it good, or else you won't get the nice tone you want. You'll just get injured. Then you can get good grades.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Grade me nicely! just kidding. but really

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think it's better to be rewarded for product than effort, but it can be frustrating because they are both important. Yay grades!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really hope that this means that I don't fail. Because I am totally fine with not failing. (Which means that I really do want a good grade, as long as I deserve it).

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have never felt I was failing as badly as I have here at BYU. Even though we've already had the discussion to not fear failure, I can't stand that thought. I'm working on it though.

    ReplyDelete