If you're in BYU Writing 150H sections 122, 126, or 129 you're in the right place.


My name is Dr. SWILUA. (Pronounced "Swill-oo-ah") That's short for "She Who Is Like Unto Aphrodite." It's my official title, thanks.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Welcome to Writing 150 this winter!

I hear it will be cold.  At least, it always is cold.  Sometimes during winter semesters my fingers shrink and my rings fly off when I reach for the chalk.  That's why I don't wear rings when I teach very much.  Except maybe if I'm in a bad mood.  Which may explain recent jewelry choices.  Hmm.... 

Anyway.  We'll be doing a lot of writing and stuff.  Also rhetoric.  Which is a fancy way of saying writing.  But it's more complicated than that of course or else they wouldn't make you take the class. 

If you read the syllabus you and I will probably be fine.  Also read the sidebar of this blog.  Because you don't want to tick me off, right?  I thought not. 

Just FYI, I have a funny chair and a cane this semester. Those aren't normal for me so if you ask some of my old students about them they might look at you like you're crazy. I recently had a skin graft that went awry. So sometimes I'm cranky. Don't worry. I know I'm cranky and won't hold it against you.

ps: I tend to like students who talk in class. Not, like, to each other. But the ones who talk about what we're talking about. So participate. I know it's hard in the morning, but you can do it. I know you can.

pps: The posts before this one are from last semester. You don't *have* to read them, but if you're looking for examples of what to do when it's your turn to post, they're there.

13 comments:

  1. She who is like unto Aphrodite? That seems a little...pretentious, but you ARE the teacher. So whatever floats your boat had better float ours too. I was a little curious about the cane and chair. Hope you heal from the skin graft gone awry soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get gum grafts; they could go awry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems slightly ironic that posting on this blog eliminates one of the best parts of being an author… that is, being free of the possible consequences that come from possibly offending others. Samuel Clemens, Theodor Geisal and all those authors who use their initials rather than their given names enjoy the ability to say whatever is on one’s mind and still are unidentifiable figures, responsible only to deity for the things that they have written. It would seem that the immunity from punishment could be the best aspect of being an author. I guess that, as far as this blog goes, one could use a fake name or just use the anonymous option, but that undermines the whole purpose of writing. Everyone knows that writing is just for grades or money these days… and in some cases both if one’s BYU scholarship is dependent on the grade received in Honors First Year Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the above comments amusing and of some entertainment value. It's interesting the kind of debates one can make from a simple introductory blog post, but it IS the internet after all, and EVERYONE has to debate something, right? That's why I never read the comments on Youtube...Or anywhere else for that matter.
    (Which isn't to say it's a bad debate. At least you're not angry and threatening to kill me in between liberal use of cuss words, and I will admit you bring up some good points.)
    Yes, this is a long comment, bringing up a debate, for the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it amusing that even in a simple introductory blog post, people can find ways to make a debate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine Anne WilleyJanuary 7, 2011 at 8:27 AM

    I couldn't find any posts before to read, but I enjoyed reading this post anyway. Also, although I've read the syllabus twice already, I didn't realize until this post that SWILUA was being utilized as an acronym. I just thought, with the like-unto-Aphrodite title, that you were being arbitrarily idiosyncratic ... which I guess you were, but with a bit more method than I had previously accredited you. It makes me want to make one up for my last name, Willey.... I'll have to work on it. "Who immensely likes lexically elaborate yarns." Okay, I'm laughing at myself... that morphed so many times it's nothing like what I was trying to say originally. It's hard to find good words that start with "Y." I'll find a better phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To John Morrell: no you're not just responsible to deity when you post your name here, but you're pretty much only responsible to her-who-is-like-unto-aphrodite, ... so is pretty much deity, right? (Sorry, I couldn't bear to put "she" when I needed "her" so much.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh chuckle chuckle that's the solution to when you try and fit that way too small ring at the store...if in Utah just run out the store and place your hand in the mounds of snow right outside..ring will slip right off :) thanks for the inspiration Professor SWILUA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its funny that we refer to our professor as SWILU not only in blogs but in our regular conversations regarding the class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think its awesome that your scared of the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're really funny Professor SWILUA. I've read like everything you wrote on here just cuz I know I can always count on a good ol' laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, well. My dad had a cane once, but his wasn't for real. He only kept it so he could swat us kids when we did lame stuff. Never had a chair though...nor a cool crazy one. Ha. No wonder he always sat on the floor. Also must be because he went to Japan on his mission 30 bajillion years ago.
    Woopdy-doo...yeah, I think everything else in your post got commented on in some form!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see I am not the only one still commenting on this. I have to say, I love tons of things you do with the class. The list of crazy things to get extensions is fantastic (although I hope I don't end up licking dirt). Hope you get feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete